Ok, so I have been cutting Ava's toenails for a few months now and 'ya know how little babies' toes curl under so cute, well, I never noticed that one of her toes REALLY curls under (go figure) until Pat called to me to look while he was playing "this little piggy". Well, well, well, I'll be darn if she doesn't have a toe that curls under (and stays under) the toe next to it. So, I did what any really observant mom would do, I said, "Huh? You'd think I would have noticed that." Then I called and made an appointment with a Podiatrist. We went yesterday and she now has her toe professionally taped to another toe in hopes that we can get it to straighten out. We are to do this for the next month. If this does not work, the Podiatrist said, "Don't worry it can be fixed with surgery when she's older." OH GREAT, my poor baby may have to have MORE surgery!! Oh no!! So we will diligently be taping her toes so she has a chance at NOT having yet another surgery.
We were playing with the shapes box ('ya know, it's a plastic box with different shaped holes on top and you put the shaped pieces into the correct hole) and she got 2 for 2 right off and I dutifully thought, "she's brilliant." Then the next 2-3 she eventually got, but then when the next one wouldn't go in, she lifted the top off the box and put the piece in and put the top back on. I just looked at her in awe. Way to go Ava, when it doesn't work one way, come up with plan B!!
Ava had another hearing test this week and the audiologist thinks she does have permanent hearing loss in her right ear. The next step is a sedated test to find out how severe the loss is. With children this young, that's the best way to find out and then we can find out how to help her now. We have to go back to Georgetown University Hospital for this procedure so we'll let everyone know when. However, while she was being tested they occupy her with toys. Well, one of the "toys" was a big square with holes and big soft pegs. She was pulling out the pegs and putting them in very quickly (for a wee one) and the audiologist remarked that she was very impressed with her ability, that what Ava was doing was not easy for kids her age. SWEET! Someone else sees just how brilliant our little Ava is!
See, it's not just me. She surprises us everyday with little things and of course, I'm an objective observer not biased AT ALL. Oh ok, I'll stop. Well, we got to go play, more later...
No comments:
Post a Comment