Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ava's in surgery

Here we are at Georgetown University Hospital. We got here this morning at about 5;40 and started the process of getting Ava all prepped for her big day. Everyone here at the hospital has been fantastic making sure that they let us know what their role in the procedure will be and to assure us that our little one will be fine. Still, there is nothing that I can think of right now that matches this for anxiety. For the past few days, particularly while commuting to or from work, I have suddenly realized that I have been thinking about nothing else. How some parents can cope with the thought of their kid going in for open heart surgery or something like that is beyond me. I guess you would be able to handle it because I suppose you would really have no choice. Anyway, the Doctor said she would probably be in the operating room for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and that she presents a challenge. We have spoken to the ear doctor who got the first crack at her as he was to put tubes into her ears. He has done so, and reports that he had a hard time with her right ear as she has a signifigant amount of "scar banding" which has resulted from past inflammation. We are going to have to monitor this quite closely and get her in for a follow-up hearing test fairly soon.
Ava did very well this morning before the operation, especially since she has had nothing to eat or drink since yesterday at dinner. They gave her a some type of drug before taking her into the operating room, which explains the slightly loopy look she has in the picture we posted today in which I am holding her. I told the nurse that maybe we could get some of that for all of us to use from time to time, because she sure was relaxed and happy. They did not honor my request.
So here we are, in the waiting room,.... waiting. I will try and post something a bit later once we get some info or when she is out of the operating room.
Thanks everyone for keeping Ava in your prayers and for thinking about us.


P

No comments: