We love her kisses. They are wonderful.
Last night Ava slept very well overall. At 2:00 am we got up to give her some pain meds. The stuff is really nasty tasting so one of us gives her some in a syringe and the other gives her some juice in a syringe to rinse the taste away, well that's the idea anyway. Needless to say, she was very unhappy about this and twists quite a bit, however, once we were done she turned to me and raised her little face and gave me a kiss. It was priceless, Pat and I just about melted. Almost like she was forgiving us.
She is tolerating the no-no's pretty well except it is a little frustrating for her since she can't bend her elbows to do things. Even so, she holds her tiny arms out for me to put them on when she gets changed. It is just amazing how she cooperates. OK, she only cooperates with the no-no's, she really really wants to feed herself and will not let us syringe feed her. She's very stubborn.
Since we've been home from China, I've held Ava on my lap while she drinks her bottle in the morning and lately she will take my hand and hold it while she drinks. It has become a small ritual that I love. Well, this morning we tried to get her to drink some Pediasure from a syringe bottle and she would not let us feed her. So I set the bottle on the table and she walked over, picked it up, came over to me and raised her arms to be picked up. She then put the bottle in her left hand and held my hand with the other and just looked at that bottle she couldn't bring to her mouth (because of her no-no's), and seemed content to be comforted by the ritual, even though she couldn't drink her bottle. It was so precious yet sad that she couldn't quite get her drink. We just love her so much.
Olivia is very tolerant of Ava as long as Ava does everything she says to do. Unfortunately for Olivia that doesn't happen too often. It is quite fun to watch though and quite frustrating for Olivia. She can't quite see why Ava doesn't get it. She even gives her "options" which sounds eerily like something I may have said to Olivia.
Well, that's it for now. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers and kind words of support. We love you all.
1 comment:
What a beautiful story. I can imagine Ava holding your hand, and that makes me tear up just reading about it.
I found your blog on the adopt cleft site, and I thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm considering adopting a toddler with a CL/CP, and I've learned a lot reading your current posts. The surgery scares me, but I'd need to focus on the wonderful life ahead. I feel better after reading your blog. Thanks.
Post a Comment